Thursday, June 18, 2009

Across the borders between continents...

"In the cathedrals of New York and Rome, there is a feeling that you should just go home and spend a lifetime finding out just where that is. " - Jump Little Children
This song has been ringing in my ears and my heart and under my skin for the past 3 days or so. I'm not sure why I was reminded of it... a few weeks ago we listened to it on the car ride from Seattle to George, Washington (seriously, that's the name of the town where Sasquatch was held). I had heard it months before, when searching other Jump songs (I was only acquainted with "By the Way They Dance from an ex). Anyway... the more I listened to it on that trip and now, the more connected I feel with it. I feel as though this song can play as the soundtrack to my life over and over. I get a tingling feeling inside when I hear it... it feels as thought I've figured things out in life... by embracing that I haven't. It's just a beautiful feeling, and I don't know what else can replicate it. Except maybe last Friday, when I caught Josh Ritter at Summerstage with the NY Pops. When he brought Glen Hansard out and they sang a song together, something in me just felt so complete. Utterly, shamelessly content. It wasn't a feeling as though I'd solved all my problems or gotten everything straight with myself, but that there was beauty in the questions, in not knowing. And somehow, I linked all this with listening to two very honest, sincere musicians onstage in a world somewhat bigger than themselves... that they followed their hearts and somehow ended up on that wonderful stage, in front of thousands. Just something about it.

I'm not sure how I came to feel complete by it... but I did. And maybe that's part of why "Cathedrals" just kills me a little inside, and births anew inside me with each listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbQ2ZvFLn0&feature=related

No comments: